To make it simple, essential oils are the life force of plants. They are the aromatic liquids that lie within many shrubs, flowers, trees, roots, bushes, and seeds.
The liquid is usually obtained through steam distillation, and are MUCH more highly concentrated than any dried herb. In fact, it takes 5,000 pounds of rose petals to make 1 kilo of rose oil, 75 lemons to make one 15ml bottle of lemon essential oil, 27 square feet of lavender plants to make one 15ml bottle of lavender essential oil, and 1 pound of raw peppermint to make one 15 ml of peppermint essential oil.
Essential oils are not the same as vegetable oils, as vegetable oils are greasy and possibly pore clogging. Vegetable oils can also go rancid over time. Because of the desire to create an amazing product through proper distillation, Young Living’s essential oils do not go rancid or expire! Meanwhile, kitchen oils such as olive, coconut, avocado, grape seed, etc. are important, and we call them carrier oils since they are often used to dilute the therapeutic grade essential oils when applying to your skin.
It is important to keep in mind that essential oils should smell exactly like the plant they come from. Often times companies will add things like vanillin to make them smell sweeter. If it says 100% pure but it smells sweet, chances are something else has been added. This means that the medicinal properties are either decreased or nonexistent. If your oil smells like dessert instead of a plant, be warned that it has probably been adulterated. That’s why we love Young Living!
Young Living takes their commitment to oil quality further than any other company out there by ensuring all oils go through the seed to seal process. Throughout the 5 step process, all oils go through rigorous testing to make sure that the oils you receive are exactly as nature intended.
The five step process includes:
- Seed: Seeds and plants are selected based on their ability to produce powerful and effective essential oils. Everything is done very carefully and selectively.
- Cultivate: Young Living is committed to perfecting responsible and sustainable growing and harvesting methods. They make sure that they are taking care of the plants and the soils so that they will continue to produce the best. In fact, in some cases, the soil is so rocky, their are employees of Young Living out hand picking the weeds.
- Distill: Using a gentle proprietary steam technique, along with cold pressing and resin tapping, the utmost care is utilized to create the best of essential oils. Gary Young has gone as far as having cameras installed in all of the distilleries, so even when he is continents away, he can, at any time, check on a distillery and the happenings, just from his phone.
- Test: Diluted, cut or adulterated oils are never accepted. Young Living tests all of their oils on-location as they are being distilled, and they also have them tested through third-parties. They pull samples every 15 minutes as the process of distillation is happening, so that they can create the highest quality oil.
- Seal: All oils are carefully bottled and sealed by Young Living. Throughout the process YL oils ONLY touch stainless steel and glass, NO PLASTIC EVER!
Want more? It is possible to go visit any of the Young Living farms around the globe and participate in this process. Interested in getting this unique experience? Currently, you can go to Idaho, Utah, Equador, France, or Oman and see it in person. Plus, there are more being added as you read this!
Want to know more about the seed to seal process? You can visit their WEBSITE.
Now that you know what they are you might be wondering how do essential oils work with our bodies and this video by fellow Happy Oiler, Jaydee, explains the science behind our cells and oils!